Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Edit Your Book As A Sensitivity Reader











About:

I will read for depictions of:

Black/Blackness

Black (American) culture and slang

Representation of black women (note: I am cis-het)

Depression

Anxiety


Interests:

I will read most things, but I much very much enjoy science fiction and fantasy. Literary, contemporary fiction, and magical realism are okay, too.

I prefer adult fiction but will also gladly read YA.

I may consider erotica or historical fiction on a case-by-case basis.



Some of the things I watch for are:

Physical description

Dialogue and interactions

Stereotypes/tropes/cliches

Believability



Reviews


:

Jasmine delivered her opinion clearly and succinctly and left me in no doubt as to which course of action to pursue.

:

Jasmine has done an amazing job with her sensitivity edits (and on other matters as well) - and I trust her editorial analysis as being always unfailingly objective and as being meticulously attentive to details of plot and of characterisation.

:

The editorial comments were illuminating and perceptive. I was afforded a deep insight into various aspects of the text, through the presentation of these comments. Jasmine didn’t just evaluate the text with a view to determining its sensitivity to the depiction of race, but also the effectiveness of its characterisations. She is a wonder indeed.

:

Jasmine is a wonderful editor and has proven herself exquisitely adept at detecting issues with the plot or characterisation that in a problematic and disturbing way signify or connote racism. I am much obliged to her for her meticulous work and shall work with her again in the future for my various writing projects. I recommend her highly.

:

Jasmine brilliantly delivered the review she had promised to deliver and brought to my attention all of the problematic areas of the document that I had asked her to review.




No comments:

Post a Comment